- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 300g mushrooms
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- A good slosh of red wine (or port)
- A good slosh of milk
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- Dried mixed herbs
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Chop the onion, carrot, and celery, and fry for 5 minutes and starting to soften.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and then mince in a food processor. Add to the pan with finely chopped garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add a good slosh of red wine and stir. Cook for a few minutes till the liquid reduces.
- Add a good slosh of milk. Cook for a few more minutes till the liquid reduces.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, and dried herbs. Add a generous shake of Worcester sauce (if using.)
- Cook until sauce is thick.
- Serve with spaghetti and grated cheese.